Re: Opinion on Views

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:17:05 GMT

David Fenton <dfenton_at_geopower.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for people's opinion on views. How efficient are they
>compared to joins for instance. When designing a report is it better to
>create a view to join two tables and use that view in the report or
>directly do the join in reports? When should views be used? For security
>
>purposes? Is the view faster than doing the query directly?
>
>I'm trying to get a popular opinion so any info would be helpful
>
>Thanks
>
>David

 Views can be more selective than joins, in that you can specify the columns to be 'visible' to the view user....so it is a very good security device for presenting pre-defined subsets of data to the user.
Views are compiled at runtime and do not seem to be any slower than direct table access, and in some cases, they may be faster.

All of our data warehouse stuff is accessed by views.

John Greco
Oracle DBA Received on Tue May 26 1998 - 16:17:05 CDT