How to? - Count number of rows in all tables

From: Paul Smith <syd_at_compuserve.comz>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 15:42:44 GMT

I want to do something which I believed would be simple, but I'm stumped.

I would like to count the number of rows in each of the tables owned by a certain user :

If the following database existed:

FRED:
TableA 10 rows
TableB 155 rows

JIM:
TableC 4243 rows
TableD 32 rows

and I wanted to query "How many rows are there in each of the tables owned by fred"... I'd want something like:

TableName 	RowCount

TableA		10
TableB		155

It seems I need to be able to perform something like the following...

select tname TableName, count(*) RowCount from ?!!? where ?!!? in (select tname from tab);

I don't care if I have to use packages, views or whatever - please help if you can.

I feel the need for dynamic SQL - am I right ? - I've never used it before.

--
Paul Smith
Technical Manager, SDR Systems Ltd