web application with ORACLE 7.3 (maybe 8) and OWS 2.1 (maybe OWA 3) - how to go back to previous page?

From: Alexander Day <ajd_at_sqlsystems.dk>
Date: 1998/05/25

Dear ORACLE developers,

I am currently working on a ORACLE Web server application where we have an ORACLE 7.3 server (maybe 8 - we'll see!) on the backend with an ORACLE Web server 2.1 (maybe 3!). Interface to the system is pure HTML generated from stored procedures (in packages) server side.

Now the situation is this: Is it possible to keep track of the user's location in the system, such that if they click a 'Cancel' button they can be taken back to the Web page that the CURRENT web page was generated from? Now this is a little different to being taken back to the PREVIOUS page. I think this is best explained with an example:

Say, the user conducts a search on ORGANISATIONS and thusly generates a result set of hyperlinks to ORGANISATION details. User then clicks a hyperlink and is presented with that ORGANISATION's specific details page, where there will be an OK button (INPUT SUBMIT) and a CANCEL button (also a INPUT SUBMIT) - much akin to the standard client/server GUIs dotted around the planet.

Let's also say that on this ORGANISATION details page is a list of PEOPLE who belong to that organisation, and the user has the option of drilling down further to the PERSON details HTML screen, which also has an OK button and a cancel button.

If the user drills down to this PERSON details screen how can they return to the original Search screen by clicking Cancel? In a normal client/server app this would be a piece of cake of course, but this is a Web application.

Last question is AM I CONCEPTUALISING THIS PROBLEM IN THE WRONG MANNER?

I would really appreciate an answer, as I'm expected to produce something 'workable' within two weeks and I'm basically working alone (boo hoo),

Best regards

Alexander Day
SQL Systems Danmark
mailto:ajd_at_sqlsystems.dk Received on Mon May 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT