Re: Boycott Microsoft

From: Rick <nospamhattonr_at_aug.com>
Date: 1998/05/24

Lelynn Vronay <ravenous_at_full-moon.com> wrote:

> I think the whole concept of MS being a monopoly is a crock of shit.
> Netscape had this very cool, easy to use interface. However, with their
> latest editions, they changed it to look like a MS product. Too bad, I
> would have bought their new browser, but alas, they sold out. Netscape
> can compete, it is a fair market, they just have to get out there and
> take it, agressively instead if whining about it.

The problem is that MS (which arguably holds 95% desktop OS market share) wrote OEM agreements that charged vendors for an OS license whether they shipped the OS or not. After they were brought to court over that, they wrote OEM contracts that either raised lices fees if competitor's software was bundled (pricipley browsers), or they canceled the license. This is anti-competitve monopolisteic behavior and is illegal.

We used to have varios vendors of dos's that would run on Intel chips and run MS apps. All but Chalera are gone. Becaause MS drove them out of busines with the above illegal behavior.

--
***   To reply via email remove nospam from my return address.   ***