Re: How'd you start in the field

From: John Sroka <john_at_trgonline.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 15:01:54 GMT

On Tue, 19 May 1998 12:11:49 -0500, Eric Lyders-Gustafson <ericlg_at_homemail.com> wrote:

>The company I used to work for was using a very small and unknown database, 4th
>Dimension. I looked at other databases that would be better and suggested
>switching to Oracle and then began training myself on it. I was the sole
>developer and dba. I had no idea how complicated Oracle would be and the
>learning curve from 4th Dimension was immense. I doubt this is the way most
>people got into Oracle, but it catapulted me into a great career.
>
>Scott Dunn wrote:
>
>> I was curious how some of you got your start in wokring with Oracle (forms,
>> 2000, ERP sw, etc.), given the "no job w/o experience, no experience w/o
>> job" paradox.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott

I've seen many Oracle professionals get their start by doing low-wage, minimum-wage, or even volunteer work. The initial pay may not be great, but it will get your career started in the right direction.

John

The Riverbend Group
"Executive Search & Recruitment of I.T. Professionals" http://www.trgonline.com john@trgonline.com Received on Sun May 24 1998 - 10:01:54 CDT