Re: ACCESS very slow at loading Oracle tables

From: Peter Mroz <pmroz_at_snip.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 22:18:09 -0400

I've been tinkering with connecting Access 97 and Oracle 7.1, and have found that linking an Access table to an Oracle table is very slow. I'm using ODBC and SQLNet 2 from Personal Oracle 7.3. The client PC is running Windows 95, and the server is an Alpha running OpenVMS 6.xx. I'm connecting over a WAN - I believe it's a T1 line. Here are some timings:

  1. File/Get External Data/Link Table

Select ODBC driver for Oracle, and enter username and password. Previously I had set up a machine data source that included the SQLNet connection string.

This brings up the entire table catalog from Oracle that I can access (I have DBS privs), which is about 10,000 tables! The time for this is six minutes.

2. I select a table to link to and hit Create Link. This takes 10 minutes! I'm left with a globe icon next to the Oracle table name.

3. When I double click on the linked table it comes up in 15 seconds.

4. If I exit Access, and then restart, and double click on the linked table, it again comes up in about 15 seconds.

Has anyone gotten steps 1 or 2 to go faster?

Thanks,
Peter Mroz