Row ID Auto Enumeration question.

From: Jeffrey T. Kempiners <jeffrey.t.kempiners_at_ac.com>
Date: 22 May 1998 21:24:16 GMT

Hello all,

        I'm attempting to add a column to an existing table, such that the new column will keep a unique, non-null integer containing the row number.

I know when I return * from an sql prompt, I get a column called Row #, but I've not found a way to retrieve this into a usable form.

I know this is not very difficult, I don't need the column to auto-enumerate when a row is deleted, just to add a number when a new row is created.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to store this auto-numbered value into a field, (outside the realm of stored procedures) please let me know.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated,

-Jeffrey T. Kempiners Received on Fri May 22 1998 - 16:24:16 CDT