Help with a function or procedure

From: <mtayag_at_obviousmrp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 18:31:42 GMT

I need to create a function or a procedure that updates a table as well as perform a select. My problem is that I have an application that can only pass one SQL statement to the database (it's usually a select)... but in the process of the select, I'd also like to be updating a field on the table. So, say I had a function called "selectAndUpdate". In my application, I can type
 "execute selectAndUpdate" in the one SQL statement I am allowed... and I can still get the right SELECT statement, as well as getting the update performed as well... killing two birds with one stone (since I am only given one stone)...
any ideas how to do this? I don't know if I can get a result set back from an execution of a procedure or function.... if anyone knows, can you please e-mail me at mtayag_at_obviousmrp.com
Thanks a bunch.

Regards,
Michael Tayag
Software Developer