Re: Cursor For Loops

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:19:00 GMT

On Fri, 22 May 1998 11:43:01 +0100, Richard Fairbairn <r.fairbairn_at_zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I understand that a cursor for loop is a loop transaction that
>automatically opens a cursor, fetches its contents into a special
>record structure and then closes the cursor. However, can someone
>tell me (using the following example) how the loop determines where
>it will terminate. (I.e., what is the relevance of C1_RECORD).
>
>Here we go...
>
>DECLARE
> CURSOR C1
> IS SELECT R.SURNAME, R.CURSAL, R.BORN FROM RECRUIT R;
>
>BEGIN
> FOR F1 IN F1_RECORD LOOP
> -------------
> IF F1_RECORD.SURNAME = 'WHATEVER'
> THEN and so on and so on ...
>
> END LOOP;
>
>END;
Your code is wrong. That's why you don't understand it. Keywords in upper case. variables in lower case.

DECLARE CURSOR c1 IS
  SELECT r.surname, r.cursal, r.born
  FROM recruit r
BEGIN
  FOR row IN c1 LOOP
    IF row.surname='WHATEVER' THEN
    END IF;
  END LOOP;
END; --
Tommy Wareing
MIS Group
Learning Resources
Oxford Brookes University
01865 483389 Received on Fri May 22 1998 - 09:19:00 CDT