Backing up Oracle

From: Gary Yasuda <gary_at_skypie.sp.trw.com>
Date: 1998/05/21

We are running Oracle 7.3.3 on Solaris 2.5.1.

When the system is backed up, the databases are brought down with a
"shutdown immediate." The backup takes place then the databases
are brought back up with "startup."

The way it is now, if someone is accessing an instance when the shutdown script is executing, the shutdown never takes place and the backup is aborted. The next morning, whatever instances were successfully shutdown before aborting need to be manually started up.

It's hard to balance keeping the integrity of the database and backing up the server on these occasions.

I'm not very well versed in Oracle. One of my colleagues told me that using "startup force" will kill every process on the database when the backup is ready to take place, so a good backup takes place.

I passed this along to the Oracle DBA, but he claims using
"startup force" is like a "shutdown abort" and may corrupt the
database. Obviously, he's completely opposed to "startup force."

I would appreciate if someone has a successful strategy that would resolve that problem. An explanation of the pros and cons of using "startup force" would be helpful. Received on Thu May 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT