Re: Linux

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_pandora.planet.net>
Date: 21 May 1998 20:24:59 GMT

  1. You can get Oracle servers running under Red Hat. Use Oracle's SCO port.
  2. to get clients running you need to filch a few binaries from SCO. I can look them up if you need them, but it sounds like you just want it for a server.
  3. There is some attention being paid by Oracle to a Linux port. As Red Hat is the most popular commercial port in the US, I would speculate that that and/or Caldera will be the ports supported.
  4. A little polite mail to Larry Ellison or Ray Lane or Ken Jacobs about this never hurts...

hth -

Regards,
jh

Gonzalo A. Diethelm (jdai040_at_ibm.net) wrote:
: Roger Irwin wrote in message <3559C9BF.88A4B1F5_at_trucco.it>...
: >As our company is shifting from AS400 to an Oracle, I went to see what
: >Linux ports where available on the oracle website. Found nothing. There
: >was a page that says something about supporting over 90 platforms and
: >OS's, but apparently no Linux on any of the various platforms it runs.
: >Is this true? I have a Linux server stuffed under a desk and it just
: >runs and runs. The keyboard and monitor are gathering dust away in a
: >storeroom. Is it really true that Oracle offer no Linux compatibility?

: A big "ME TOO"! Our company depends heavily on Oracle, and I would
: love to use our linux e-mail and news servers as alternative database
: platforms.

: If anybody from Oracle is listening, then hear this: linux is a perfectly
: viable platform, and I for one know a few companies that would be
: willing to invest in Oracle for linux, if there was any. Emulation (SCO) is
: not an alternative, because that doesn't give us all the development
: tools for linux (like ProC).

: If it helps at all, I would like to remind Oracle that linux is "the fastest
: growing OS"; whatever that means, I think Oracle should give linux at
: least a serious look.

: --
: Gonzalo A. Diethelm
: gonzo_at_ing.puc.cl

--

Jared Hecker	| HWA Inc. - Oracle architecture and Administration
jared_at_hwai.com	|  ** serving NYC and New Jersey **