Re: Delphi 3.0 Installshield nearly unusable?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:11:29 +0200

Bart Loosvelt wrote in message <35599eb1.308523_at_193.75.226.254>...
>I recently discovered that Installshield does NOT re-install a new
>version of a file if the file already exists on the target machine.
>Even if the file has a different size, modification date etc. It just
>skips it. Can you believe this??????

Please note that that InstallShield is NOT a Borland (or Inprise) product. InstallShield is written by Striling Technologies. Specific OEM versions of InstallShield are also shipped with Visual Basic, C++ and other development tools.

IMO the bundled InstallShield product is OK for the ad-hoc programs/software that you develop. If you want to distribute commercial type software, you should either purchase the full version of InstallShield (comes with a scripting language and lots of other features), or write your own installer.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon May 18 1998 - 07:11:29 CDT