ACCESS very slow at loading Oracle tables

From: Troy Perchotte <perchott_at_nospamdigitalcourier.com>
Date: 1998/05/17

When I try to view the contents of an attached Oracle8 table from within Access 97, the computer takes about 10+ seconds just to display the first page of records, and 2 seconds thereafter to move the cursor between records. I have about 100 fields in this table, and if I reduce the number of fields, the display time also decreases a little; however, nothing changes with respect to the number of records.

I though after posting this problem here last month, that I found a solution. :( When linking an oracle table, Access prompts the user to select which field or fields identify each record's uniqueness. By not selecting any field, the display time was instant, and my problem was solved; however, I found out after, that the linked tables weren't updateable this way.

How do I link a table from Access97, with reasonable speed, and not be read-only?

Thanks in advance,

Troy Perchotte Received on Sun May 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT