Re: Boycott Microsoft

From: Chris Johnson <chrisj_at_airwindows.com>
Date: 1998/05/16

In article <355D6BFE.464D5B0D_at_cts.com>, jamess_at_cts.com wrote:
> So what are you saying? The government should supply money for welfare
> so you can sit at home and live in poverty? Or the government should
> supply tax breaks to companies so they can hire more people to work.
> Look at the economy, how unenpolyment is down right now, isn't that
> better than having a bunch of people on welfare?
> jamess

   We are talking about the US government. We are talking about Microsoft. Who is a prime force behind the attempt to demolish immigration quotas for the tech industry so, basically, Microsoft can _refuse_ to hire American workers and can instead import workers from other countries and not pay them any sort of decent compensation- in other words, magnify the 'tech sweatshop' situation that already _exists_ in the computer industry?

   MS is the _last_ entity to give any sort of break to for this reason. Smash them, sanction them, break them up. Give the tax breaks to INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS so this 'laissez-faire' business can actually inspire people to create diversity and options in the computer industryand  have the antitrust rules set up, and ENFORCED, to prevent anything from getting too calcified, stale, and 'in control' of any one entity, no matter _who_ that entity is. Sun or Apple or Netscape would be no better in MS's position, just somewhat different.

   Chris Johnson
   chrisj_at_airwindows.com Received on Sat May 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT