Synchronizing applications between repositories

From: Marc Maes <mmaes_at_tref.nl>
Date: 1998/05/16

    Hello,

I am currently working on a Des/2000-project, which involves two sites working on the same project. Because of the distance, both sites are not connected through a network. Site A has the original repository with a set of application-systems in it. Site B has a copy of this repository and has defined an extra application-system in which they work exclusively. Also, site B does not change any elements in the application-systems of site A. However, site B needs to refer to elements from an application-system of site A by sharing. (Still with me?)

Now, after (almost) having completed working on their part of the project, site B wants to merge their application-system into the repository of site A, so the complete project can be delivered to the customer.
Here is were the trouble starts; how can we transfer an application-system from B to A and merge it seamlessly into the existing repository? Des/2000 offers these tools:
- Export/Import: the shares from will result in a skeleton-system. All
shares from B's app.sys. point to the skeleton instead of the original base-app.sys. All these shares will then have to be removed and reshared manually. This practically means breaking down the entire new app.sys. Therefore, this is not a solution.
- Unload/Load: is meant for small numbers of elements only.

Knowing which elements are going to be left out in the rco-file would save me quite some time. Does anyone know which elements will be left out by Check-Out and why?

And has anyone already countered a similar situation? How did you deal with it? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Marc Maes

PS: replying to my e-mail address would also be appreciated! mmaes_at_tref.nl Received on Sat May 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT