Desperately seeking JDBC thin driver for Oracle 7 that works

From: Alan MCCulloch <amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 16 May 1998 12:04:07 GMT

I thought my JDBC connection (Unix -> Unix) to Oracle 7 was working fine... well, it was until I started next()'ing through a couple of ResultSets...now it gets up to about 400 next()'s OK, then dies with a SQLException as per the below example.

Quite a bit of experimentation shows that it is not a particular record that causes the problem, and although I can't rule out errors in my own code, the fact that others report a similar problem suggests it really is the Oracle JDBC thin
(type 4) driver that I am using - i.e. the one from Oracle's
web site - that is the problem.

This is quite a setback in an otherwise very successfull so far project...anybody know where I can get a type 4 driver that works ? WebLogic doesn't seem to have a type 4 driver for Oracle : what about Intersolve ? Somebody has posted a message referring to a driver from OpenLink - anybody know if it works OK ? Anybody know when Oracle are planning to fix their one ?

Thanks for any tips
Alan McCulloch

PS - the website for OpenLink was given as http://www.openlinksw.com

PPS typical stack dump :

ResultSet.getWarnings
java.sql.SQLException: Protocol violation

        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:378)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.Oall7.receive(Oall7.java:637)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.doOall7(TTC7Protocol.java:1206)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.fetch(TTC7Protocol.java:709)
        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSet.next(OracleResultSet.java:95)
        at ide.dataset.CTCRFDataset.next(CTCRFDataset.java:524)
        at ide.forms.CTFormManager.ExtractForm(CTFormManager.java:485)
        at ide.clientserver.CTConnection.run(CTServer.java:936)

(the bottom 3 are inside our own app, the rest is Oracle)