Select statement pulling up too many rows

From: danny hindes <danny.hindes_at_SW.boeing.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 20:39:33 GMT

I am trying to develop a select statement that will pull up the one and only record that exists in some data where an id has been programatically indexed by one, but in a situation where the data wasn't zero filled. In other words, if I

select data_id from table where data_id like '%\&\@|^1^12%';

then I get the records

&@|^1^12
&@|^1^123
&@|^1^1277

You get the drift. It would have been nice if the application had zero filled the index, so that 00012 would have exactly found only one row. But then of course, I'd like Chrysler to replace my Lemon, and we'll just see how that goes....

This may have an obvious solution, but I am fairly new at all this, being a former super-user who jumped the fence and became an analyst.

Is there a single select statement that will in all cases just find the single row I ask it to find? Note that all the data in this column start out with the &@|^1^ characters, and that there is data after the index in most of the data that is returned.

Thanks,

Danny Hindes
danny.hindes_at_SW.boeing.com Received on Fri May 15 1998 - 15:39:33 CDT