Re: Relocating dbf,ctl and log files

From: Umar FArooq <umar.farooq_at_cressoft.com.pk>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:54:25 +0500

Angel Layva wrote:

> Can anyone briefly go over the steps for relocating a database from
> one filesystem to another. I need to move dbf files, control files,
> and log files to a new filesystem.
>
> Thanx in advance

   For dbf and log files..
close the database (this will cause the dbf and redo log files to close but the control file will still be open) use the underlying OS's commands to move the files to their new locations
edit the control file to depict the new location of the files (delete the old files using OS commands...editing the control file does not delete the actual files from the OS) open the database

For control file:
dismount the database (this will cause the control file to close) use the OS commands to relocate the control file(s) edit the CONTROL_FILES parameter to refelect the new file path(s) (delete the older control file using the OS commands) mount and start the database

*IMPORTANT* it will be sensible to back up ur data before u make any of the above changes

Umar Farooq Chaudhri
Software Engineer
Crescent Software Products (Pvt) Ltd.
Lahore, Pakistan
umar.farooq_at_cressoft.com.pk Received on Fri May 15 1998 - 04:54:25 CDT