Re: Boycott Microsoft

From: Rick Hatton <nospamhattonr_at_aug.com>
Date: 1998/05/14

Rubywand <rubywand_at_swbell.net> wrote:
> Since Microsoft can easily demonstrate that it has owned and
> produced the standard OS for years, it will be nearly impossible to show
> that Microsoft had any motivation to damage anyone in order to sell the
> next version of its OS.

MS got their by illegal means. Witness the present consent decree.
> A good example of what happens when you lose control of your
> product's major features is Apple's sorry performance as a PC
> manufacturer. Apple can make no significant changes to its product
> without sacrificing compatibility and/or increasing costs.

Compare the cost the iMac with that of a compq presario of the same mhz. They are the same.

> Were Apple to introduce a
> new high-performance non-PC Apple II, it would regain control of its
> product and be in a position to win a significant share of the home and
> education markets

No one is in control of the PC platform. There is no one to set any true hardware standards.

> Unlike Apple leadership, Microsoft management understands the need
> to control vital features of its primary product. It helps to explain
> why Microsoft is prosperous while Apple skates from quarter to quarter
> on the verge of collapse.

Apple has "skated quarter to quarter" only recently. Apple does have control of their product. Witness what happend to the Mac clones. BTW, Apple stock has almost tripled in the few moneys. What MS management understands is how to bully the market with every means, legal and illlegal.

> > > Why do you think MS is immoral? Because they sell software?
> > Because they sell software that they have stolen from someone else.

becasue they reached and maintain dominance illegally.

--
***   To reply remove nospam from my return address.   ***