Re: Help needed ORA-12547 TNS: lost contact.

From: Burton V. Peltier <ep94bvps_at_shellus.com>
Date: 1998/05/14

Mark R. Aughenbaugh wrote:

> This may not apply to you.
> We were on HPUX 10.2 and upgraded to 11.0 and Oracle 7.3.4.
> Oracle bug 637656 required modifiying $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/sysliblist.
> Add -l:libnss_dns.s1 to current string
> cd /usr/lib
> ln -s libnss_dns.1 libnss_dns.s1
> relink all Oracle products (make -f ins_rdbms.mk install)
>
> zafar aziz <zaziz_at_lums.edu.pk> wrote in article
> <01bd7803$46bbf500$af0080cb_at_sdg.www.lums.edu.pk>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are having Some problem with Oracle connection. After all
 configuration,
> > When I try to connect to our database server with any tool like SQL*Plus,
> > D2k (ver. 7.3.2.1) I get this error message
> >
> > ORA-12547 TNS: lost contact.
> >
> > We are on Oracle locale support but they could not resolved this problem.
> > will appreciate if any body can help Us...
> >

> > Zafar Aziz Rana
> > Lahore University of Management Sciences.

We were also hitting that same error (12547) when we upgraded to version 7.3.4.1 from version 7.3.2.3 . It was not always occurring and only occurred on the server (not on client side using sqlnet). After trial and error when it
did occur, it looks like setting EPC_DISABLED=TRUE fixes the problem. This setting was originally put in a while back (with 7.3) with all our scripts
on the client side. It stops the Oracle Trace logging which causes other problems.

But, then again maybe the bug just hasn't happened lately (last 2 weeks) and we also may need to relink. We are on HP-UX 10.20 .

Was bug 637656 causing this same error EVERYTIME a connect was attempted?

Thanks.

* Burt Peltier                     burt_at_shellus.com  *
* (504) 728-0179 - Shell Offshore - New Orleans, LA  *