Re: Importing tables w/large initial extents into a small database

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.org>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 00:03:54 GMT

On Wed, 13 May 1998 19:20:33 +0200,
Eugen Nyffeler <eugen.nyffeler_at_ubs.com> wrote:
>Joel Garry wrote:
>>
><snip>
>> An excellent suggestion, except for the fact the resulting log file requires
>> a whole lot of manual intervention. The resulting file has line breaks in
>> all sorts of weird places, and no easy way to know when the next line is
>> supposed to begin. In other words, you can't just put a ; at the end of
>> each line, substitute DROP for ^TABLE and have a sql file. The one I just
>> tried, had stuff like the end of line being VARCHA" and the beginning of
>> the next line like "R2(30), (with quotes and comma).
>>

>Yeah, it's realy a pain... and that's the reason why i keep the
>create-script of
>the DB's.

The reason I do it more dynamically is environments that don't allow proper sizing up front, such as development sandboxes (they may change their minds rapidly and often), support sandboxes (customers may throw all sorts of unpredictable stuff at it), educational/training (might want 3 identical schemata, then 33 over diverse platforms), and rapidly growing production environments, particularly newly implemented ones. It can be simply easier to see what Oracle thinks things should be than to try to figure it out manually.

><snip>
>
>> Thank you for pointing out that I wasn't too clear about not editing actual
>> export files that will be used in the future with import. That was what
>> I meant by brave and careful. Work on a copy.
>>

>And i thought i was brave, when i changed the files without any
>backup-copy ;-)

A fine line between brave and foolish! :)

I usually use rows=N, but somehow that got overlooked in this thread.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

or Pebble In The Sky                     http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry jgarry@nospameiq.com
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!     Remove nospam to reply.  Sorry.