Re: TNS-12538: TNS: no such protocol adapter

From: Chris Hamilton <toneczar_at_erols.com>
Date: 1998/05/13

Carl Hilton <chilton_at_awod.com> wrote ...

> I've had to install two versions of SQL*Net on my machine... I have
> an ODBC connection that is now failing.....

> If I go to ORAWIN\BIN and do a "TNSPING myconnection". This works.

> If I go to ORAWIN95\BIN and do a "TNSPING myconnection"

> I end up receiving the "TNS-12538: TNS:no such protocol adapter" error
> message.

Looks like the protocol adaptor specified in myconnection (check the tnsnames.ora file for what the protocol is) was not installed in the 32-bit Win95 Oracle software tree, but was in the 16-bit tree.

Just find out which protocol it is, and install it.

A tip: if you're using the two different Oracle Homes, and want to share a single TNSNAMES.ORA file, add an entry to your ORACLE.INI file (for 16-bit) and to the Windows95 Registry (for 32-bit) to point to a common directory. For instance:

ORACLE.INI: tns_admin = c:\oracle\tns\

Registry:	HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
			tns_admin
				c:\oracle\tns

Chris

Chris Hamilton -- toneczar_at_erols.com