Delphi 3.0 Installshield nearly unusable?

From: Bart Loosvelt <bl_at_hemmis.be>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 13:36:05 GMT

Hello,

I recently discovered that Installshield does NOT re-install a new version of a file if the file already exists on the target machine. Even if the file has a different size, modification date etc. It just skips it. Can you believe this??????

How can anyone justify such a thing? Lest I am missing the point myself, how am I supposed to distribute program fixes then if a new version of the exe never gets installed? And uninstalling and re-installing is not an option either, because then I loose the data in my client's Paradox files. Only way to install a new version is to remove the old exe and then run the installation script again. Hardly anything I would trust all of my users with...

Is the registered version of Installshield any better? I think Inprise (formerly Borland if you hadn't heard they changed their name yet) is distributing a very obsolete (or very crippled) version of Installshield too, aren't they? At least, you wouldn't expect them to cripple it so badly it stopped functioning altogether?

Thanks for your comments,
Bart Loosvelt
bl_at_hemmis.be Received on Wed May 13 1998 - 08:36:05 CDT