Re: Oracle on Linux enhancement request, need your support!

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_guardian.no>
Date: 1998/05/11

[oracle_at_tchp2.tcamuk.stratus.com (Neil Chandler)]

| - I want to be able to say -
| 'HP is looking into it' or 'Sun are sending a patch' or
| 'I have been provided with a workaround by Microsoft'.
| - The Boss - 'Glad we paid our maintenance contract, have a raise.'

it all boils down to: "nobody wants to be responsible".

what is so great about large companies is that nobody is in fact responsible. if someone screws up, someone else can always be blamed or the company is so large that the blame can be distributed to so many people that in the end: nobody is responsible.

if the problem is tricky you can in fact get away with NOT solving it, simply because you can blame it on someone or something else.

the end of the story is usually that your boss ends up having to spend more money on alternate solutions in either case if the problem is not resolved within time constraints.

of course, nobody wants to admit that it works that way, because meanwhile we get paid $300/hr to sit on our asses.

-Bjørn Received on Mon May 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT