Re: Encrypting a data field

From: Nancy Whitney <whitney_at_apk.net>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 13:43:48 GMT

"joachim Carlsson" <IKEA-joachim.carlsson_at_neurope.ikea.com> wrote:

>There is (almost) no reason to encrypt the passwords. Since when you have
>broken into the operatingsystem you can allways break into oracle if you
>want to. If you can logon to machine with the database you can get onto
>oracle without two many minutes of trouble.

>You know that you can steel the password from any oracle user in unix system
>within a few secs?

The reason I want to encrypt this field is because there are several groups asking if they can copy the contents of the Oracle database to various places like into an LDAP database or into a Domino database, which they would then replicate all over the place. The only field in that database that would be sensitive if they did this is the password.

Nancy Received on Tue May 05 1998 - 08:43:48 CDT