Access/Oracle SQL Passthru stops working

From: CyberSaurn <cybersaurn_at_aol.com>
Date: 03 May 1998 23:08:02 GMT

Hi folks! I posted the post below a while back on the Access board, but got no responses. Since it's happened to me the most when I'm accessing Oracle, I thought perhaps I'd cross-post in the hope someone here has had experiences similar to mine and might have insight to share? Thanks much!

Subject: SQL Passthrough queries stop working From: cybersaurn_at_aol.com (CyberSaurn)
Date: Sat, Apr 18, 1998 17:43 EDT

Hi, all. I've been working over the past few years with MS Access 2.0, accessing Oracle via Intersolv ODBC 16-bit drivers and SQL*Net 1 under Win 3.1. Recently I have begun working with Access 97 under NT, accessing Oracle via Oracle 32-bit drivers and SQL*Net 2. I am also, on this same NT workstation, accessing DB2 v4 on an ES-9000 via IBI EDA/SQL(not fluent in this yet so I don't know the release).

In both version of Access and when doing passthrough queries to Oracle or DB2
(I've had this problem with both), from time to time I will run into a problem
where a query I am working on stops working. I'll be developing my query bit by bit, evolving the joins and where clauses, and I'll start getting error messages about syntax errors. I'll check for syntax errors and find none
(SELECT * FROM SYSIBM.SYSTABAUTH) is pretty straightforward!. I'll go so far as
to delete the text from the query (leaving the query window open) and retyping it, but it still won't work. However, if I start a brand new query and retype it exactly (or so it appears to me), it runs fine. ??????

I ran into this again this week and figure there must be something I'm doing inadvertently -- introducing an invisible character accidentally or something else I'm doing which is causing the problem? Or else perhaps somehow my somewhat iterative approach to developing a query (during which I do generate legitimate syntax errors) was somehow causing Access to get "confused" and maybe get "stuck" somehow internally. So I thought I'd post and see if anyone else has had similar experiences and might have some insight.

Thanks all! Received on Sun May 03 1998 - 18:08:02 CDT