Re: MS Access using Oracle ODBC

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 13:31:58 GMT

I'm able to get this working with MS Access 97 and Oracle8. I executed the following DDL:

CREATE TABLE foo (id NUMBER, num NUMBER);

CREATE SEQUENCE foo_id_seq;

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER foo_iu BEFORE INSERT ON foo FOR EACH ROW DECLARE
  id NUMBER;
BEGIN
  SELECT foo_id_seq.NEXTVAL INTO id FROM DUAL;   :new.id := id;
END; That's all there is to it. Now, if I perform the following from SQL*Plus:

  INSERT INTO foo (num) VALUES(2000);
  COMMIT; The ID column will be automatically populated with the next value from the sequence.

If I attach this table using MS Access, and I add rows to this table using the DataSheet view and only populate the NUM column, the ID column will automatically be populated with the sequence values.

Hope this helps.

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:49:36 -0600, jjackson_at_mail.capnet.state.tx.us wrote:

>I am modifying an Access application to use attached Oracle tables instead of
>Access tables for better performance across a WAN. I can attach and use the
>Oracle tables, but I need to know how to reference Oracle sequences from
>Access. I need to generate unique IDs like I did with the Counter field in
>Access. I know how to create and use sequences in Oracle, but cannot
>reference a sequence from Access to generate the number. The Oracle
>documentation gives an example of an Insert SQL statement referencing
>sequence_name.nextval. Does this apply to PL/SQL only, or can you do this
>with standard SQL. I have tried this from Access, but it does not work. This
>application will be rewritten, but I need to use the existing Access app with
>Oracle tables as a quick fix. Please email jjackson_at_mail.capnet.state.tx.us

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri May 01 1998 - 08:31:58 CDT