Re: java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum

From: Mick McRae <Mick.McRae_at_its.csiro.au>
Date: 1998/04/30

Ravi,

I seem to recall a similiar problem a few months ago. When using the thin driver if the query string was exactly 254 chars in length, the program would hang or sometimes issue the message 'Bigger type length than Maximum'.
Also, if the query string was 509 chars in length, the same thing would happen.

Try adding a few spaces in the string within the executeQuery statement or reduce the length. We found that 253 and 255 chars worked fine or any number of characters for that matter.

The pre-fetch paramter would also have an effect. If set to 100, I think 100 rows would be returned and then the statement would fail. Can't quite remember.

Apparently this is a bug and will be resovled in an upcoming version.

Hope this helps
Mick