Re: data migration

From: <gleman_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/04/30

> The sqlloader approach involves writing a script to dump the data and
> generate the sqlloader control files, while the MS-Access approach
> involves setting up an sql statement ("insert into oracle.table as
> select * from ingres.table") for each table and identifying primary keys
> as each table is linked into MS-Access. We have about 200 tables.
>
> I would love to hear what other people have done or what tools, if any,
> address this problem.

My company provides a suite of software and services that ease the process of data migration. We use a dictionary based approach for describing the meta data and the mappings between the legacy and the new system. The product generates PERL source to actually perform the conversion, so the human/error prone side is eliminated. The tools integrate tightly with ERWIN. If you're trying to support a migration with a large number of tables, or the transformations between the two systems aren't simple, then you'll definately be interested in what we have to offer.

Please visit our web site at http://www.metagenix.com

Greg Leman/Metagenix, Inc.|1505 Blount St.|Durham|NC|27707|919-210-4910 gleman@metagenix.com|http://www.metagenix.com