MS Access using Oracle ODBC

From: <jjackson_at_mail.capnet.state.tx.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:49:36 -0600

I am modifying an Access application to use attached Oracle tables instead of Access tables for better performance across a WAN. I can attach and use the Oracle tables, but I need to know how to reference Oracle sequences from Access. I need to generate unique IDs like I did with the Counter field in Access. I know how to create and use sequences in Oracle, but cannot reference a sequence from Access to generate the number. The Oracle documentation gives an example of an Insert SQL statement referencing sequence_name.nextval. Does this apply to PL/SQL only, or can you do this with standard SQL. I have tried this from Access, but it does not work. This application will be rewritten, but I need to use the existing Access app with Oracle tables as a quick fix. Please email jjackson_at_mail.capnet.state.tx.us