Re: Move Oracle from one AIX box to another one

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 28 Apr 1998 15:46:10 -0700

In article <35448736.5067B43F_at_ribm00.rhic.bnl.gov>,

Grace Tsai  <gtsai_at_ribm00.rhic.bnl.gov> wrote:

>Currently, our Oracle is in AIX 4.1.4 of an IBM RS/6000 model 550
>computer. Our Oracle version is 7.3.2. Since the machine is old and the
>support fee is high, so we are planning to move the Oracle to a newer
>machine IBM model E30 which has AIX 4.1.5. The Oracle software and
>database files are in two harddisks which are attached to the old
>machine. Those two disks contain only the Oracle stuffs, nothing else.
>We are thinking to detatch the two disks from the old machine, attach
>them to the new machine, and move the Oracle configuration files which
>are not in these two disks (e.g., listener.ora) to the new machine. We
>try to avoid reinstalling the Oracle in the new machine. Do you think
>our plan is OK? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

If you name all the devices exactly the same as on the old machine, it should work.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest

jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry "See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA! Received on Tue Apr 28 1998 - 17:46:10 CDT