Re: Unix Command

From: J M Whitehead <J.M.Whitehead_at_sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:39:27 +0100

Colin Sutherland wrote:

> Hi
>
> This can't be done from a stored procedure. Nice thought though !
>
> Regards
>
> Colin
> Christian Capone wrote in message <6htlr8$16c4$1_at_urano.inet.it>...
> >Anybodies know how to execute a Unix command from a Oralce PL/SQL
> Procedure?

Sorry Colin but I'm afraid that you are wrong.

Its true to say that you can't simply call a Unix command from within an oracle stored procedure but you can use the dbms_pipe feature to achieve something like this.

The setup would be that you have a ProC daemon running continously on the UNIX box waiting for messages to come down the pipe, these messages would be the unix commands you want executing and the daemon program would spawn other processes executing these commands.

Jon. Received on Mon Apr 27 1998 - 05:39:27 CDT