Re: Access vs Oracle

From: Nuno Guerreiro <nuno-v-guerreiro_at_telecom.pt>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:20:24 GMT

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:17:15 +0200, Max Berle <no-spam.max.mberle_at_pironet.de> wrote:

>hi richard,
>
>> A company that I have an interview for wish to migrate from Access to
>> Oracle. I would be very interested to know what people generally see
>> as the advantages/disadvantages of both.
>>
>> May be a list of 3-5 comparitive advatages/disadvantages of both would
>> be interesting....
>
>well oracle cant actually be compared to access because they are
>designed
>to do different things:
>
> oracle access
> database server desktop database + frontend
> can handle mass data can handle small data volumes
> professional tool designed for small applications
> hard to handle easy to handle
>
>compared to oracle access is a toy ;-)
>
>--
>cu maxx
>
>to reply just remove the no-spam. from my address

I would add an important feature which is crucial in any real-world environment: TRANSACTION MANAGEMENT.

Imagine you are working in a project for a bank and have a table which contains bank accounts. You need to transfer money from one account to another - this turns out to be 2 operations:

. decrease account A1
. increase account A2

Imagine there is a hardware failure between the 2 operations.

While Acces would leave your table in an inconsistent state (with the debt executed), Oracle would nicely rollback all incomplete transactions (cancelling the changes performed by the first operation) the next time the database was open, thus leaving the database in a consistent state.

Access and other similar products do not implement the TRANSACTION concept.

Nuno Guerreiro Received on Fri Apr 24 1998 - 11:20:24 CDT