Re: To the moderator

From: Kaz Kylheku <bill_at_cafe.net>
Date: 1998/04/23

In article <353F8A87.1CD0BA96_at_fairway.com>, Jeffery Cann <jcann_at_fairway.com> wrote:
>> You can't do embedded SQL in C and still call it C. So your question has
>> nothing to do with the C language.
>
>Really? Then why does my processed ESQLC code "look and feel" like C.

The syntax of C isn't defined by look and feel. ESQLC isn't C, it's a language based on C.

Why don't we admit C++ questions too? After all, there exists CFRONT, which translates C++ into C. Then there are f2c and p2c, so Fortran and Pascal are on topic as well! Eiffel, anyone?

>The ESQL is translated into Oracle C library calls. Granted, the

Translated by something other than a C implementation, into an undoubtedly platform-specific C program which relies on features that aren't part of the language.

>Oracle-generated code as some strange usage, but it is still C. It even
>can generate ANSI C.

I doubt it, since it most likely relies on libraries that are not part of ANSI C which enable it to communicate with the database system. Any question about such libraries would not be topical for comp.lang.c.

What you probably mean is that the tool will generate C which uses function prototypes. Received on Thu Apr 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT