Re: Orcale NT vs Unix Performance

From: Jgitomer <jgitomer_at_aol.com>
Date: 24 Apr 1998 02:44:15 GMT

Hi Bob,

..>My interest lies simply with the fact that Oracle was originally targeted at
>Unix and its' only through porting tha

Oracle was originally written for either IBM mainframes or DEC VMS (sorry I don't remember which) -- not Unixt there is an NT version.

>Was there
>something lost in the translation making the NT version inherently slower?

No. From what I can determine Oracle runs equally as well on NT 4.0 as it does on Unix on comparable multiple Pentium based hardware. The performance monitor on NT shows that Oracle takes advantage of all of the processors in the box.

My personal complaint about Oracle on NT has to do with the reliability of NT. Every once in a while NT just seems to lose it and the system crashes. (This just doesn't happen on my Unix boxes.) It happens often enough to be disturbing and seldom enough so that it is difficult to trace.

Regards

Jerry

Jerry Gitomer Since I know how to spell DBA, I became one. Received on Thu Apr 23 1998 - 21:44:15 CDT