Re: SQLNET V.2 - Performance

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 07:36:19 +0200

Maria Joao Campos wrote in message <6hl4vk$nsv$1_at_duke.telepac.pt>...
>I have two HP-UX V.10.2 working as client-server with Oracle database. The
>link between them is a digital leased line 64K.
>
>The Server contains a Oracle Server V.7.1.2.6.2.0 with SQLNet V.2.1.6.1.0,
>the Client Application use SQLForms30 and Reports2.0.
>
>Everything is working, but I have a very poor performance. Running the same
>application on the Server we have a bigger performance.

From the article title it seems to me that you think the problem is related to SQL*Net - IMHO I doubt it. SQL*Net is just Oracle's "network interface" to the protocol stack. If SQL*Net works fast on one machine, and not another, then it can not be blamed for the decrease in performance. There are also no way (AFAIK) to tune the networking side SQL*Net -it simple uses the protocol stack as is.

I have heard horror stories about the amount of network traffic Forms generate when using recordsets. And a 64KB leased line is a pretty small pipe if it is also used by other machines.

There are ways to manually troubleshoot basic network performance problems, but I think you're best option will be to get a network vendor to sniff the network and produce a report. Here in my part of the world, it costs less than $500 and is sure worth the money. The end-results are facts and not speculation.

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Apr 23 1998 - 00:36:19 CDT