Re: Changing a column

From: Amarendra B Nettem <nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu>
Date: 1998/04/22

Sbaiz wrote:

> Hi to all
> is there a way, in Oracle, to modifiy a column name without dropping the
> table
> maintaining its data. I know that others databases permit changing the name
> of
> the column or dropping a column, but Oracle not.
> It would be nice if Oracle can modify the column name or generate the
> scripts
> by itself, taking care of all the constraints.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Pierluigi S.

Hi,
 The only way to change the column name from (Y TO C) in tab1 is 1. CREATE TABLE TEMP (A,B,C)
    AS
    SELECT A,B,Y FROM TABLE TAB1;
 DROP TABLE TAB1;
 RENAME TEMP TO TAB1 (Remember you have to recreate the constraints)

AMARENDRA B NETTEM
Oracle Certified DBA (OCP)
Whittman-Hart Inc.,
311 South Wacker Drive, Suite 3500
Chicago, IL 60606.

Residence:
-----------
5039 N E River Road,
Apt. 1A
NORRIDGE, IL 60656

Ph.No. (708) 583 9870 (H)
       (312) 913 6758 (W)

 E-mail:nettama_at_charlie.cns.iit.edu,
        anettem_at_whittman-hart.com

Homepage: http://www.iit.edu/~nettama

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those
of Whittman-hart Inc.