Mirror or RAID5 for Oracle7 DW?

From: Mark Langkau <mark.langkau_at_pbmplus.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:05:49 +0000

Does anyone have any interesting thoughts, opinions, experiences with mirroring disk arrays vs RAID5 for an Oracle 7.3 data warehouse?

Our initial thoughts are to mirror (like our OLTP environment) because we feel the DW will be mission critical and a few hours downtime to swap/rebuild a bad disk may become a problem. (What if we loose 2 disks???)

Other than cost, what advantages could we potentially see by using RAID5 rather than mirroring? (actually RAID 0+1)

Initial size will be about 30-40GB growing to about 124GB in 12-18 months (or less). We are looking at Sun's new A5000 arrays.

Thanks,
Mark Langkau
Network Manager Received on Wed Apr 22 1998 - 11:05:49 CDT