java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum

From: Ravi Iyer <riyer_at_cisco.com>
Date: 1998/04/21

We are having a serious problem with the Oracle thin driver or JDBC, where it raises an exception while iterating in the resultset when retrieving a large no. of records.

The actual exception is below:
java.sql.SQLException: Bigger type length than Maximum

This happens after say about 15000 rows or so. Is this a size issue or something else.
Doesn't seem to be a datatype issue, as we are only retrieving numbers/varchar(100) and the query retrieves all records if split into multiple smaller queries.
Is there some setting in the driver ?
I recall reading a troubleshooting section in the Oracle JDBC documentation. Now that link is dead.
What is the solution/workaround ?

Thx,
Ravi.