Error: ORA-01237 on Datafile Resize

From: Virgil Stay <vstay_at_wavetech.net>
Date: 1998/04/21

I have an Oracle 7.3.3 db on AIX 4.2. I'm using the Oracle Enterprise Manager from an NT40 desktop. From Storage manager I was trying to increase the datafile from 1gig to 2gig with the following command and resulting error:

#ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE '/oracle/data4/dat2.dbf' RESIZE 2048000K

#ORA-01237: cannot extend datafile 7
#ORA-01110: data file 7: '/oracle/data4/dat2.dbf'

Using 'oerr ora 1237' gives:

01237, 00000, "cannot extend datafile %s" // *Cause: An operating system error occurred during the resize. // *Action: Fix the cause of the operating system error and retry the command.

The Oracle user has been verified with SMIT to have the rights to create a 2gig file. This has been tested at the command prompt. Disk integrity has also been checked. I cant seem to find a good reference on what other issues might be contributing to this error.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Virgil Received on Tue Apr 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT