forms45, restricted functions, singleton select ...

From: Bratke <bratke_at_rwt.de>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:01:09 +0200

Hello,
I am a beginner with Oracle Forms45 with a few weeks experience. Unfortunately I am still working alone with forms, so I have a lot of problems and questions. I hope, that there is anyone out there, who can help.
But first, a short explanation to our application. We have a client/server application, the client is actually made with forms and will run on different platforms. The server is an application, which run on a HP-UX machine. The complete application logic is in the server. The server services processes with GUI and processes, which are running in the background. For the communication we use at this time sqlnet and a "communication table" in our database. All writing transaction are using the server.
It works very good !
My development platform for the client is NT 4.0 SP3. Now my questions:
1) The description of a database Item in a window is also an item. This item is located in a special block (called <db_block>_dsc). The value I show in this item is the default-Value (Item-Properties, in future I will get these values from the database). If I call the <db_block>, I have first to call the <db_block>_dsc to show the descriptions. I do this in a trigger called
'when-window-activated'.

 In this trigger is a call 'go_block <db_block>_dsc' and after that a call
'go_block <db_block>'.

My Problem: I can't close any window !! (even if this window is in the background)
I can see, that first the trigger when_window_activated is called first (with the go_blocks) and after that my trigger when_window_closed (calling hide_window, set_window_property->visible->off) is called, but there is no effect ! I synchroniced these triggers, but no effect. Is there a common way to solve that problem, or what can I do ? 2) Next problem are the restricted functions. For example, I am in 'enter query'-mode and I want to make a call go_item, and sometimes go_block. How stupid, I can't do that !
I read about using timers and tried it, but it didn't work. I think, I do it wrong.
Can anyone tell me a common way to use restricted functions ? 3) After an execute_query I have a list with, let's say, 10 records. I change the third record (using the server). The transaction is committed. Because the server generate some values I have to re-select my list. What I want, is to make a singleton select of that changed row and to display this row at the same sequence number of my list (without loosing the last search-criterias).
How can I do that ?
How can I manipulate the search-buffer ? 4) In my forms-application I use the hint-library and everything is OK. If I copy my application and the hint.pll to a PC, running Forms-Runtime, I have a problem with that library. The trigger which calls the Hint-Functions always creates an error (FRM-40735 and ORA-304500). I think, I need one more library, but which one ?

OK, for the first time I think that is enough. I am very hopefull to get a lot of answers, which can help me. Also I am interrested in generell solutions, which a very helpfull. Thanks in advance
Gerd Received on Tue Apr 21 1998 - 03:01:09 CDT