Re: VB5 with Oracle. Hangs because of transactions

From: <smoore_at_accordhr.com>
Date: 1998/04/20

In article <6hcfma$q3n$1_at_einstein.pnm.net>,   "Christian J. Bauer"
<christian.bauer_at_passau.netsurf.de> wrote:

> Domingues wrote in message

 <01bd69cf$0d7db1d0$320281ac_at_pdo8brg>...
> > Set Wks =

 CreateWorkspace("ManutWorkspace", "prodata", "prodata",  dbUseODBC)
> > Set

 Conn = Wks.OpenConnection("ManutConnection", dbDriverNoPrompt,
> False,

 odbcWinCP + ";")

> You should avoid those DAO Workspace stuff when
 connecting to external
> (ODBC) databases. In your case, the workspace is
 handling the Transactions
> and this could be the reason for your "deadlock".
 You should use RDO
> instead. DAO is only neccessary when you want JET. You
 should use DAD only
> when connecting to local Databases (dBase,Access,
 Paradox etc...) and dont
> want to use the ODBC overhead.
>
> When using DAO

 you can also avoid the workspaces using "OpenDatabase".

> Chris

don't think that is the case. When you create a workspace using ODBCDirect,
you don't invoke all of the Jet overhead. I've doing something similar and
use the following lines to connect:

'Establish an ODBC connection.
Set
wkODBC = CreateWorkspace("ODBCWorkspace", "", "", dbUseODBC) DBEngine.Workspaces.Append wkODBC
Set cnODBC = wkODBC.OpenConnection("",
dbDriverNoPrompt, True, _
  "ODBC;DATABASE=" & sService & ";UID=" & sUserName & _
  ";PWD=" & sPassword & ";DSN=oracle;")