DDL, DML , SQL

From: <void_at_lynx.net.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 14:15:54 +0930

I'm trying to clear up a bit of a grey area about Oracle and DBMS' in general.

I'm reading a text on Database Systems called "Database Systems - A practical approach to Design, Implementation and management" by Connoly, Begg & Strachan.

The text uses Oracle as its DBMS and referes to a DDL, DML and SQL

Firstly the separation of DDL and DML. Are they really separate languages or is this just an academic way of separating commands by their usage?

Secondly, is SQL the "language" used by Oracle or is SQL to be seen as an addition to Oracle.

The problem with the text is that I'm not sure when the subject matter is about DBMS' in general or Oracle.

I know this is all a bit vague but my only prior experience was with dBase III+, which had a series of definition/manipulation commands which could be used either to write programs with or as single commands. I saw all of these commands as being part of one language. Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 23:45:54 CDT