Experiences in storing documents in Oracle DB?

From: Stefan Meindl <stefan.meindl_at_workforce.co.at>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:15:05 GMT

Hi!

Does anyone have experiences in storing (standard-)documents (such as Winword-files, Excel-files, etc.) in an Oracle-database? I intend to write an application (using MSVC++ 5.0 and OO4O22) to manage (binary-)documents in a database with a minimum of filesystem interference. Currently I can think of 2 alternative solutions:

  1. Treat the documents as OLE-container in the application and store it directly to e.g. a long-raw field in the DB. or
  2. Create or edit temporary files on the filesystem, synchronize (i.e. binary copy) the files to e.g. a long-raw field in the database when finished editing and delete the temporary file afterwards.

Additionally the following requirements exist for the application that should also be considered:
* All docs should only be stored in the DB, not in the filesystem (obviously!)

I have implemented test-programs of solution 1 so far, but the performance especially in creating large long-raw entries (above letīs say 2MB) in the database, is not that good. I would appreciate any suggestions or experiences, also concerning efficient fulltext-search in binary database-fields.

Thanks,
Stefan Meindl Received on Fri Apr 17 1998 - 03:15:05 CDT