Re: Visual Java development kits - recommendations????

From: Bobby Abraham <bobby_at_cm.co.za>
Date: 1998/04/16

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

> For the record, Visual J++ _isn't_ a visual development environment... You code
> the interface, your don't visually design it.

Quite right !

> David Sisk wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > There are quite a few database-enabled, visual Java development kits
> > available on the market. Ones that I'm aware of include:
> >
> > - Microsoft Visual J++
> > - Symantec Visual Cafe for Java, database developer's edition
> > - Sybase PowerJ
> > - Borland JBuilder
> >
> > Has anyone used any of these? Any opinions about which is best (for apps
> > that talk to a database such as Oracle)? Any facts or just mere opinions
> > would be tremendously appreciated. Please email me as well as posting here.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Dave

For what it's worth I decided on JBuilder and am not disappointed. My decision was influenced by the fact the Oracle will (or is) ship AppBuilder which is heavily derived from JBuilder. They have worked on the DB interface (what else ?).

I presume that fact that you posted to an oracle group means you intend to target an Oracle DB.

Don't expect Oracle support to know to much about the product yet however :-(

--
Bobby Abraham                   email : bobby_at_cm.co.za
Computer Management       Fax   : +27 31 3325552