OWS: How to do user authentication with PLSQL?

From: <bob_at_ljpc.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 13:02:25 -0600

Hello,

I need a recomendation on how to provide some very basic security regarding the access to PLSQL generated web pages. Basically, I want to keep user info in a table and then compare a user login/password against this table. If successful the user will then be tranfered to the menu page. I thought about this for about 5 seconds then realized what is to keep the user from just bookmarking the menu page, and skipping the login in the future? Since with web pages there is no type of "permanent connection", apparently I will need do some type of user authentication each time a page (procedure) is accessed.

My question is what is the easiest way to remember the login and use this info for authentication on following pages? Right now I am thinking about using a cookie... is this how it is typically performed? I have tried to decipher the Oracle Train demonstration hoping for illumination (they seem to be using cookies), but it is not occuring. A more simplistic example (with some comments) would have been much more helpful... :)

Thanks,

-Bob

Laboratory and Manufacturing Systems Analyst La Jolla Pharmaceutical Company
bob_at_ljpc.com

http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading Received on Thu Apr 16 1998 - 14:02:25 CDT