Forms 4.5 bouncing scroll bar

From: Patrick Donovan <pdonovan_at_qualcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:12:04 -0700

Fellow Forms warriors-

I would like to get a form to display 10 records the first time the form is opened. Afterwards, all queries should return all rows. I'm trying to improve the startup time but also get away from having a scroll bar that does not represent the result set. Currently when a query is executed, 10 rows are returned and the scroll bar appears to have 10 rows remaining. However, if you drag the thumb to the bottom, it resizes, 10 more records appear and the thumb bounces back to the middle. To get to the 500th record, you would have to drag the scroll bar 50 times! I realize users shouldn't be running queries that return 500 rows, but I am just using 500 as an example. Bottom line: I want to be able to drag to the bottom of the result set.

I have tried using execute_query (all_records). This works OK at the form level, but if a query is entered, only 10 rows are returned initially. I have been trying to get Forms to show 100 rows instead by setting the block properties to:
  records displayed = 10
  records buffered = 100
  records fetched = 100

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pat Received on Thu Apr 16 1998 - 12:12:04 CDT