running a PL/SQL program in the background

From: Gerhard Moeller <Gerhard.Moeller_at_OFFIS.Uni-Oldenburg.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 09:15:24 GMT

Hi,

at the moment I program an admin tool for my project including context usable from webbrowsers. As some of the operations (e.g. optimize indexes) are rather lengthy in execution, I would like to start PL/SQL procedures in the background to give control instantely back to the user. (in other words: those functions should be not executed modal)

The only idea I have at the moment is to create PL/SQL procedures on the fly (with dbms_sql.parse) ans submit them as a job, executed instantely.

The problem with this sulution is that I have to get rid of the jobs and the procedures after execution. (There are just to many different procedures to let them exist all the time.) Of course, this could be done with some job that is executed regulary and checking what jobs are done and can be safely destroyed. But this is rather a bad hack than a clean solution.

So... ...is there any other way to let PL/SQL procedures be executed in the background?

        Thanks for any hint, Gerhard.

--
Dipl. Inform. Gerhard Möller -- Gerhard.Moeller_at_OFFIS.Uni-Oldenburg.DE

                                      ICQ PIN: 2804938
OFFIS                  | | | | | |    Tel.:    0441/9722-122
Escherweg 2            | | | | | |    Sekr.:   0441/9722-113 oder -101
D-26121 Oldenburg      |O|F|F|I|S|    Fax:     0441/9722-102