Webserver: How to cater for dynamic sets of radio buttons?

From: ak <ak_at_x.y>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:10:44 +1000

Hi,

We have a table that contains a number of entries, each corresponding to a question. I need to create an HTML page that lists the questions, and provides some radio buttons for each question to allow a response to be recorded.

This is proving problematic for a number of reasons.

  1. If I define all the radio buttons with the same name, and end up with (say) 5 lots of 2 radio buttons for five questions, then only one out of 10 buttons can be ON at one time. This isn't what I want, so I need to distinguish between the 5 groups of buttons.
  2. If I DO distinguish between the 5 lots of buttons (by, say, question number), then how do I cater for it in my program when I don't know how many groups of buttons I will be dealing with?

At the moment, I'm facing catering for a fixed upper limit of say 200 groups. This means that my program will be full of huge lists of variables and lots of IF...THEN...ELSEs - not an elegant sight.

Could someone suggest any possible alternatives?

Thanx

-ak Received on Thu Apr 16 1998 - 00:10:44 CDT