Re: POL: Why needs DELETE so much time???

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:59:28 -0400

Hi Andreas,

If I understand you correctly it is taking hours to delete one row from the table. Since your delete statement references the primary key and you have a small table the deletion should occur instantaneously.

Since it does not I suspect that you have a corrupt table or index. The solution, of course :-( , is to recreate them -- if necessary. First, find out if the structures are valid using:

        ANALYZE TABLE bad_guy VALIDATE STRUCTURE CASCADE;

This will return a message indicating either that your structure is valid or that there is an error. If there is an error you will have to drop and recreate the offending object. Note, that if the index is invalid you do not have to drop the table -- only the index.

Regards

Jerry

--
Jerry Gitomer Since I know how to spell DBA I became one. jgitomer_at_p3.net Received on Wed Apr 15 1998 - 20:59:28 CDT